Novedades

¡Bienvenido a Catador de Prepagos!

Registrate para disfrutar centenas de reseñas.

¡Contribuye el foro!
  • crear tu propio anuncio Anuncios

Safety as a Solo Traveler por aldeezy

aldeezy

Parroquiano
Puntaje
Going to Medellin in February, and was wondering how safe it is as a solo traveler. I've been hearing about more crime on the facebook group and wanted to check in here. Seems like a lot of it is men being baited by tinder girls, then being drugged and robbed, and even kidnapped. I plan on strictly seeing girls that have been reviewed on here, and a few casas de citas (new life, doll house, loutron, etc.) I don't drink/party, but was wondering how safe walking around during the day by yourself is. Won't be engaging in much nightlife

A little bit about me: I'm 36, brown complexion (parents from El Salvador), speak fluent Spanish with a gringo accent. I'm hoping to be able to blend in as much as possible, but will still be doing some tours. Staying in El Poblado. I plan on using a burner phone while there.

Any insight, info, & tips would be appreciated. Thank you

prepsupport

Catador Nivel II ⭐⭐
Puntaje
Going to Medellin in February, and was wondering how safe it is as a solo traveler. I've been hearing about more crime on the facebook group and wanted to check in here. Seems like a lot of it is men being baited by tinder girls, then being drugged and robbed, and even kidnapped.
Bingo. I like to think of it as "strange" women. This encompasses dating apps, girls off of the street, and girls who have not been reviewed. There are guys here who do all of those things and have not been caught up, but you have to do everything else right. For me, it is not worth it.
I plan on strictly seeing girls that have been reviewed on here, and a few casas de citas (new life, doll house, loutron, etc.)
This solves is 95% of the problem that these guys are falling into. Good idea IMO. Especially for your first trip.
I don't drink/party, but was wondering how safe walking around during the day by yourself is. Won't be engaging in much nightlife

A little bit about me: I'm 36, brown complexion (parents from El Salvador), speak fluent Spanish with a gringo accent. I'm hoping to be able to blend in as much as possible, but will still be doing some tours. Staying in El Poblado. I plan on using a burner phone while there.

If you do want to head out, check out La Isla. Get there between 10:30 and 11pm. You don't have to drink but depending on the night, you might see a very nice selection. Pricier (like Loutron) but works if you want night time ass without the risk.

---

Since people still get targeted during the day:

Burner phone = smart. May not be necessary but will stop your natural reaction to resisting if you get targeted for a robbery. Also I noticed that once many people had my number, I started getting targeted for phishing scams through my phone. All sorts of b.s. messages coming through whatsapp. I talked shit to one of them because I was bored haha. They reported me and my account was immediately banned. I freaked out for a second but emailed whatsapp and it was immediately reversed. Still scary at that moment.

---

Also in regard to what I said above regarding the burner. I carry a dummy wallet with expired cards/ID and a tiny bit of cash too. Just enough to spend on the fly for a drink or quick bite. Everything else is hidden. You want them to think they got something from you. Is all of this necessary? Maybe not, but I want to put myself in a situation to not hesitate to give up my phone/wallet. It is natural to hesitate after all. I've never heard of robbers searching people. They want to take what is easy (phone/wallet/watch/chain) and go. I don't wear a watch or chain anyway.

Don't resist and you'll be fine.

---

I fit your basic description too and blended in fine. I watched street videos and notice the locals tend to wear jeans with nice tennis shoes and t-shirts or polo shirts. Your clothes can be super simple but new/clean and you'll be fine. When I open my mouth I'm an obvious gringo.

So I was surprised when one lady spoke to me in English right away as it only happened once outside of the typical gringo area. I realized that it was how I walked in. I walk fast and I move fast. This made me stand out. Once I slowed down and started walking at the pace of the crowd, I blended in again.

Every once in a while, walk faster than the crowd and see if anybody is keeping pace with you. If so, they might be following you. Walking on the opposite side of the street will let you see any motos approaching. Sometimes this will be a deterrent to them, especially if you are not flashy. They'd rather surprise somebody looking down at their phone on the sidewalk.

You can ignore much of this (even at night) if you still to crowded roads. Don't walk on empty streets, even during the day. UBER is super cheap. Just pay the $2 and be safe.

---

Honestly it sounds like you probably already get it. If you have any other specific questions, drop them here.

Another quick one: don't use taxis. Could you do so and be fine? Sure. But not worth the risk to me.

aldeezy

Parroquiano
Puntaje
Thanks for all the tips! I do plan on carrying a decoy wallet as well, and a cheap watch.

Oh, and all we ask is that you post reviews here for us to see. We'd all appreciate it.

Yes I plan on doing this at night since I won't be going out much haha

About using uber: Do you get in the passenger seat? I know about not slamming the door

prepsupport

Catador Nivel II ⭐⭐
Puntaje
Thanks for all the tips! I do plan on carrying a decoy wallet as well, and a cheap watch.

Yes I plan on doing this at night since I won't be going out much haha
hahaha nice. It is definitely fun to reminisce while writing stuff down at night. The problem is the memories make me horny and it was off to La Isla 😅

The cheap watch is a good idea. Another meaningless thing to give them. Just make sure it can be undone fast. You don't want to test their patience.

About using uber: Do you get in the passenger seat? I know about not slamming the door
Re: the passenger seat: yes.

Re: Door slamming: haha, you know your stuff. You've done your research.

You'll be good man. Have a great time.

Jewbaca

Parroquiano
Puntaje
Going to Medellin in February, and was wondering how safe it is as a solo traveler. I've been hearing about more crime on the facebook group and wanted to check in here. Seems like a lot of it is men being baited by tinder girls, then being drugged and robbed, and even kidnapped. I plan on strictly seeing girls that have been reviewed on here, and a few casas de citas (new life, doll house, loutron, etc.) I don't drink/party, but was wondering how safe walking around during the day by yourself is. Won't be engaging in much nightlife

When you are crossing the street please do not look at your phone, I was told not to do this, I forgot, and two men on a motorcycle drove up to me and grabbed my phone it happened so fast their was nothing I could do. The good thing was google works well, I ran back to my apartment, got on to google blew up my phone, I did have a password, and was able to use my second phone right away, Be safe my friend happy hunting

lokito

Parroquiano
Puntaje
Hey, I've just recently been going and I'm a solo traveler. I think your mentality is great. The best thing you can do is try to blend in. I'm going for my 3rd time feb 3 to 7 and I would say I've done what you are suggesting. And a couple providers on here that are recommended and stick to them. For me personally I've used ella erotics and a few other providers. I take a money belt where I have my shit hidden and a wallet with a little cash and a card in case I'm jacked.

However, ive never felt i'm danger but i haven't been out and about late. I use Uber pretty much everywhere and it's cheap and safe.

If you're around when I'm there we can check some spots out if interested. I haven't been to fase or la isla because I've been alone but I would like to. I can pretty much say you have a good mentality about what you're doing so you'd be fine.

I've been on tinder lately but it scares me.

If you have questions hit me up.

I usually stay at an Airbnb by las américas or by the stadium.

ghost1

Parroquiano
Puntaje

Hey, I was in your shoes over aye
Hey, I've just recently been going and I'm a solo traveler. I think your mentality is great. The best thing you can do is try to blend in. I'm going for my 3rd time feb 3 to 7 and I would say I've done what you are suggesting. And a couple providers on here that are recommended and stick to them. For me personally I've used ella erotics and a few other providers. I take a money belt where I have my shit hidden and a wallet with a little cash and a card in case I'm jacked.

However, ive never felt i'm danger but i haven't been out and about late. I use Uber pretty much everywhere and it's cheap and safe.

If you're around when I'm there we can check some spots out if interested. I haven't been to fase or la isla because I've been alone but I would like to. I can pretty much say you have a good mentality about what you're doing so you'd be fine.

Hey, I was in your shoes almost a year and half ago similar age and background I visited medellin for the first time I ended up staying for 2 months November 2022 to Jan 2023, hit me up and I will give u as many pointers as I can, I'm also gonna be traveling to medellin from Jan 29 to early April, we could be each other's wingmen. First of, I stayed in a hostel for the first 3 weeks and I made tons of friends from all over the world we even went to La Isla about 100 girls few will rate them ten mostly 9 or 8 you can pay cash or credit it's a bit pricey but still way cheaper than Vegas lol. I read tons of reviews on this page, and I ended up going to Ellas Erotic, in Los Colores and I had the pleasure to be with Luisa, I don't think she's there anymore, the place it's ok for what it is it's safe and you can get a haircut few shops down lol, also went to Luna Lunera place is safe, uber will drop you off by the front door, about 20 girls, no tens there couple 8's but it was late and had to check the place out, Mariana was very nice. I did interact with Tinder, but is a waste good local girls don't want anything to do with someone who's just visiting and the ones that do will ask for more money that u will spend at the places I mentioned, better go with the good reviews of this page, at no point I felt unsafe, I stayed in an airbnb for the last few weeks of my stay, made good friends with the ppl that works a the hostel they invited me to parties and of course u have to pay for the liquor whis in my case was ok, hostels are the way to go at first so you can socialize many hostels have private rooms with private bathroom and won't give you a hard time if you bring someone over

SkankHunt42

Catador Nivel I ⭐
Puntaje
I was like you my first few times except I’m textbook Northern European looks, and spoke zero Spanish at the time. I’m not sure how many times I’ve been now, lost count and never had an issue. Take standard precautions:

- leave your phone in your pocket unless you need to have it out. I almost always wear pants with zipper pockets.
- carry a wallet with a second ID like a passport card, 1 credit card, and a small amount of cash. I usually carry about $20 worth of COP unless I know I will need more.
- if you get robbed, just hand it over. Never happened to me, but I’ve seen what happens when you fight.

Girls, this is where most foreigners run into trouble. Your plans will likely keep you out of trouble. New Life is good, but not the best neighborhood. I had an English speaking Uber driver actively try and talk me out of going lol. But he dropped me off and I walked right in. When it was time to leave, order the Uber, wait inside until the Uber is there. Then walk straight out to the Uber. Been there a few times without issue.

If you invite a girl to your place that isn’t from here, maybe an amateur from tinder or something follow my basic advise that has been 100% effective for me so far:
- vet her social media. Does she look like a normal person?
- stay somewhere with security, tip them 20mil to make sure you’re ok before they let her leave.
- keep small portion drinks in stock like small bottles or water/soda. Put the lid of immediately after drinking. If it leaves your sight, consider it contaminated and get another. The good girls also appreciate getting drinks this way too, makes them feel safer.
- trust your gut. If it feels bad, end it right there.
- be realistic. Unless you are a fine specimen of a man, no 10/10 wants to have your baby. If they meet you they want something g, money, gifts, something. Don’t fall for the romance card like many of us have. Usually the girls who drug you want nothing from you. They just want to meet you and go to your place. That said, I’ve met girls and they have wanted nothing, but these girls have normal social media pages, full of gringos, and clearly wanted gifts more than money. They’ve usually been to Paris or Cancun on vacation and are more middle class whereas the other are generally more desperate for dinero. They call these girls “interesadas” here, Medellin for gold digger. I actually like these girls the best. The last one even chose to go to the airport with me and hung out until I almost missed my flight instead of the Uber home I offered her.

aldeezy

Parroquiano
Puntaje

Hey, I was in your shoes almost a year and half ago similar age and background I visited medellin for the first time I ended up staying for 2 months November 2022 to Jan 2023, hit me up and I will give u as many pointers as I can, I'm also gonna be traveling to medellin from Jan 29 to early April, we could be each other's wingmen. First of, I stayed in a hostel for the first 3 weeks and I made tons of friends from all over the world we even went to La Isla about 100 girls few will rate them ten mostly 9 or 8 you can pay cash or credit it's a bit pricey but still way cheaper than Vegas lol. I read tons of reviews on this page, and I ended up going to Ellas Erotic, in Los Colores and I had the pleasure to be with Luisa, I don't think she's there anymore, the place it's ok for what it is it's safe and you can get a haircut few shops down lol, also went to Luna Lunera place is safe, uber will drop you off by the front door, about 20 girls, no tens there couple 8's but it was late and had to check the place out, Mariana was very nice. I did interact with Tinder, but is a waste good local girls don't want anything to do with someone who's just visiting and the ones that do will ask for more money that u will spend at the places I mentioned, better go with the good reviews of this page, at no point I felt unsafe, I stayed in an airbnb for the last few weeks of my stay, made good friends with the ppl that works a the hostel they invited me to parties and of course u have to pay for the liquor whis in my case was ok, hostels are the way to go at first so you can socialize many hostels have private rooms with private bathroom and won't give you a hard time if you bring someone over
Thanks! I'm down to be each other's wingmen. I'll hit you up!
I didn't think to stay at a hostel. I have my airbnb already booked. It's on Calle 10 near parque lleras. I was thinking about going to La Isla too

aldeezy

Parroquiano
Puntaje
I was like you my first few times except I’m textbook Northern European looks, and spoke zero Spanish at the time. I’m not sure how many times I’ve been now, lost count and never had an issue. Take standard precautions:

- leave your phone in your pocket unless you need to have it out. I almost always wear pants with zipper pockets.
- carry a wallet with a second ID like a passport card, 1 credit card, and a small amount of cash. I usually carry about $20 worth of COP unless I know I will need more.
- if you get robbed, just hand it over. Never happened to me, but I’ve seen what happens when you fight.

Girls, this is where most foreigners run into trouble. Your plans will likely keep you out of trouble. New Life is good, but not the best neighborhood. I had an English speaking Uber driver actively try and talk me out of going lol. But he dropped me off and I walked right in. When it was time to leave, order the Uber, wait inside until the Uber is there. Then walk straight out to the Uber. Been there a few times without issue.

If you invite a girl to your place that isn’t from here, maybe an amateur from tinder or something follow my basic advise that has been 100% effective for me so far:
- vet her social media. Does she look like a normal person?
- stay somewhere with security, tip them 20mil to make sure you’re ok before they let her leave.
- keep small portion drinks in stock like small bottles or water/soda. Put the lid of immediately after drinking. If it leaves your sight, consider it contaminated and get another. The good girls also appreciate getting drinks this way too, makes them feel safer.
- trust your gut. If it feels bad, end it right there.
- be realistic. Unless you are a fine specimen of a man, no 10/10 wants to have your baby. If they meet you they want something g, money, gifts, something. Don’t fall for the romance card like many of us have. Usually the girls who drug you want nothing from you. They just want to meet you and go to your place. That said, I’ve met girls and they have wanted nothing, but these girls have normal social media pages, full of gringos, and clearly wanted gifts more than money. They’ve usually been to Paris or Cancun on vacation and are more middle class whereas the other are generally more desperate for dinero. They call these girls “interesadas” here, Medellin for gold digger. I actually like these girls the best. The last one even chose to go to the airport with me and hung out until I almost missed my flight instead of the Uber home I offered her.
Thanks for the tips! I have a pretty long list of reviewed girls on here, so I'm not sure if I'll even have time for tinder girls haha, but that's really good info!

aldeezy

Parroquiano
Puntaje

Thanks! I won't be there until February 9th, otherwise I'd be down

aldeezy

Parroquiano
Puntaje
When you are crossing the street please do not look at your phone, I was told not to do this, I forgot, and two men on a motorcycle drove up to me and grabbed my phone it happened so fast their was nothing I could do. The good thing was google works well, I ran back to my apartment, got on to google blew up my phone, I did have a password, and was able to use my second phone right away, Be safe my friend happy hunting
I'm sorry that happened to you. Yes I've heard that a lot as well from a lot of people. Thanks for sharing

lokito

Parroquiano
Puntaje

I'm definitely down. It helps to not be alone for sure.

aldeezy

Parroquiano
Puntaje
Questions about using ATMs:

Are certain locations safer than others?

Is it better to pull out as much as possible to minimize visits?

How likely is it getting robbed at the ATM?

Tips are appreciated. Thank you!

willie

Parroquiano
Puntaje
Do your research on the different banks in Colombia about ATM withdrawals. Each bank is different on the daily amount you can withdraw. Example: some only allow say…. 300 thousand pesos total, where others allow…. 600 thousand at a time…..up to 3 times for a total of 1 million 800 thousand. So just depends on what banks ATM is in your area. Just be aware of your surroundings. I usually go to a grocery store in the area I stay and they have security around.

prepsupport

Catador Nivel II ⭐⭐
Puntaje
Questions about using ATMs:

Are certain locations safer than others?

Is it better to pull out as much as possible to minimize visits?

How likely is it getting robbed at the ATM?

Tips are appreciated. Thank you!
Most people I talk to prefer malls for the same reason that Willie likes grocery stores. A grocery store might actually be better DEPENDING on the location. As long as the location is actually inside the building. And not in the open right by the entrance. Some ATMs have a booth with doors.

Best to avoid the ATMs on the street. I used them just fine but I was careful to make sure no body was watching. Basically it was on a major street but during the day and nobody was in the immediate vicinity hanging around. It also had a privacy booth. On top of that, there are some in Poblado right by the tourist police stand. Not saying the police will do shit, but probably a bit tougher for criminals than some random ATM.

WITHDRAWAL AMOUNT

For me: I want to minimize trips for safety, but some do it for cost too.

I looked at all of the options and Davivienda was the best option for me. The most money for the lowest costs. I could pull up to +1M COP each day and double that on Fridays, though of course I spent way less than that. This meant I could do one transaction instead of sitting there doing 3 transactions like at BancoColombia. I ignore fees since my bank covers them but this may matter to you.

Minimizing trips and transactions lowers the number of trips and time at an ATM. In-and-out. It's over real quick just like when I fuck 9/10s 😅. That being said, I was carrying a bit of cash on me and that is it's own risk. You have to do your own math as to what you want to risk more. I preferred more cash for less time.

For me, the cash was just prepago money anyway so I didn't need to go as much as other people. I used card whenever possible because I wanted to have cash only for when HAD to use it. This also lowered the number of trips I needed to take. Loutron & La Isla did take card though and when I went it was the same price no matter how you paid. That may be different now.

---

A couple caveats that you may already know:

1 - Regarding Davivienda: people complain that sometimes no money comes out. I never had that problem, but it is not rare either. If this happens there or at any ATM, keep your receipts and your bank will reimburse you. It is common enough where your bank should have dealt with this before.

2 - No Matter what bank you use: ALWAYS DECLINE the conversion. The ATM/Foreign bank conversion rate is a ripoff. I'm not talking about the fees, as your bank will probably absorb those.

I'm talking about the actual exchange rate here. You want to use your bank's rate Schwab/Capital One/Chase all give you the interbank rate. People think that hitting decline means no transaction. This is how they trick you into accepting their B.S. rate. I mention this because this is like getting robbed. Over a few ATM visits they might get more out of you than a thief would hahaha.

HOW LIKELY YOU ARE TO GET ROBBED AT AN ATM

Not sure but I'd say higher than average. I'd probably just go to a mall ATM now.

But you still have to make sure nobody is watching. They don't have to follow you. A lookout can snap a quick pic and text a buddy outside. Or he can signal another guy to follow you. This is probably paranoid but if I was a thief this is exactly what I would do. Especially because if somebody hit the ATM it is a guaranteed score. Plus they still get your phone, watch, chain, etc.

SkankHunt42

Catador Nivel I ⭐
Puntaje
Do your research on the different banks in Colombia about ATM withdrawals. Each bank is different on the daily amount you can withdraw. Example: some only allow say…. 300 thousand pesos total, where others allow…. 600 thousand at a time…..up to 3 times for a total of 1 million 800 thousand. So just depends on what banks ATM is in your area. Just be aware of your surroundings. I usually go to a grocery store in the area I stay and they have security around.
Easy solution to this. Open an investor checking account at Charles Schwab. Zero fees and they refund all ATM fees. I’ve used on every trip to Colombia and always end up getting about $25 in ATM fee refunds at the end of the month.

aldeezy

Parroquiano
Puntaje
Most people I talk to prefer malls for the same reason that Willie likes grocery stores. A grocery store might actually be better DEPENDING on the location. As long as the location is actually inside the building. And not in the open right by the entrance. Some ATMs have a booth with doors.

Best to avoid the ATMs on the street. I used them just fine but I was careful to make sure no body was watching. Basically it was on a major street but during the day and nobody was in the immediate vicinity hanging around. It also had a privacy booth. On top of that, there are some in Poblado right by the tourist police stand. Not saying the police will do shit, but probably a bit tougher for criminals than some random ATM.

WITHDRAWAL AMOUNT

For me: I want to minimize trips for safety, but some do it for cost too.

I looked at all of the options and Davivienda was the best option for me. The most money for the lowest costs. I could pull up to +1M COP each day and double that on Fridays, though of course I spent way less than that. This meant I could do one transaction instead of sitting there doing 3 transactions like at BancoColombia. I ignore fees since my bank covers them but this may matter to you.

Minimizing trips and transactions lowers the number of trips and time at an ATM. In-and-out. It's over real quick just like when I fuck 9/10s 😅. That being said, I was carrying a bit of cash on me and that is it's own risk. You have to do your own math as to what you want to risk more. I preferred more cash for less time.

For me, the cash was just prepago money anyway so I didn't need to go as much as other people. I used card whenever possible because I wanted to have cash only for when HAD to use it. This also lowered the number of trips I needed to take. Loutron & La Isla did take card though and when I went it was the same price no matter how you paid. That may be different now.

---

A couple caveats that you may already know:

1 - Regarding Davivienda: people complain that sometimes no money comes out. I never had that problem, but it is not rare either. If this happens there or at any ATM, keep your receipts and your bank will reimburse you. It is common enough where your bank should have dealt with this before.

2 - No Matter what bank you use: ALWAYS DECLINE the conversion. The ATM/Foreign bank conversion rate is a ripoff. I'm not talking about the fees, as your bank will probably absorb those.

I'm talking about the actual exchange rate here. You want to use your bank's rate Schwab/Capital One/Chase all give you the interbank rate. People think that hitting decline means no transaction. This is how they trick you into accepting their B.S. rate. I mention this because this is like getting robbed. Over a few ATM visits they might get more out of you than a thief would hahaha.

HOW LIKELY YOU ARE TO GET ROBBED AT AN ATM

Not sure but I'd say higher than average. I'd probably just go to a mall ATM now.

But you still have to make sure nobody is watching. They don't have to follow you. A lookout can snap a quick pic and text a buddy outside. Or he can signal another guy to follow you. This is probably paranoid but if I was a thief this is exactly what I would do. Especially because if somebody hit the ATM it is a guaranteed score. Plus they still get your phone, watch, chain, etc.
Thanks for all the tips! I'll be around Calle 10 in Poblado, so I'll most likely use the mall ATMs, and keep my head on a swivel

aldeezy

Parroquiano
Puntaje
Easy solution to this. Open an investor checking account at Charles Schwab. Zero fees and they refund all ATM fees. I’ve used on every trip to Colombia and always end up getting about $25 in ATM fee refunds at the end of the month.
I normally bank with Chase, but opened a CapitalOne 360 checking account for this trip, since they don't charge ATM fees